Sunday, May 10, 2009

Colerider Descendents

Most of these old building on Main Street are known by name, at least to Grafton natives. The names are usually derived from the original owner/builder. Sometimes an occupant was significant enough to override the original name (the JCPenney Building, for example), but generally the original name sticks.

The Grafton 123 is in the Colerider Building.

A month or so ago I got an email from Henry Colerider's Great-granddaughter!

Here's the email (the link below works, too, for more information on Henry and his extended family):

"Dear M.K.,
I am Henry Colerider's Great Granddaughter. I was googling his name and found out about your Coffee Shop. I was very happy to learn that Henry's building is still standing and being used in such wonderful fashion in Grafton. I am very curious about the previous tenants of the building... bakery, Insurance Agency, and dentist.
That is so strange... my GG Grandfather moved from Grafton to Fayetteville, NC and his office building in Fayetteville housed a bakery downstairs and a dentist's office upstairs. It is so strange that in both cities he would have buildings and the same kind of businesses used his buildings. The Fayetteville information is from my mother, who knows this to be true because she and her sisters inherited the Fayetteville building from my Grandmother. A dentist was renting that building when the sisters sold it.
It was interesting to learn that you are a writer. I am too. My name appears in about 130 text books. I'm a retired middle school science teacher, and until recently, I published science texts for Glencoe McGraw Hill. I've tried publishing children's books, with no success.
If you'd like to see pictures of Henry and learn about the man, you can go to my website:
<
http://www.susanleachsnyder.com/Genealogy/Generation5HenryColerider.html>
May I have permission to use your pictures of the coffee shop on my website? I'd love to include them.
Sincerely,
Susan Leach Snyder"



No comments: